Wednesday 23 April 2014 at 10:16.
My and Jeroen’s research focusses on applications. We started with the following research questions:
# FIVE QUESTIONS & METHODS

## 1
_question_
1. How have applications created for print design changed to include digital functionality?
_method_
1. Look at earlier versions of the program, updates and new functionalities and patch updates.
_visual outcome_
1. Timeline.
## 2
_question_
2. When looking at applications updated in a similar timeframe, taking into account customer and industry demand, how do the changes made to the applications compare to each other and why?
_method_
2. Comparing the different applications and their updates through patch notes and analysing their user interface.
_visual outcome_
2. Infographic (graphs etc.).
## 3
_question_
3. Are there applications which changed drastically when their focus shifted from print to digital and in what way did they change?
_method_
3. Find 2 programs which changed in noticeably different ways. Compare patch notes and analyse user interface.
_visual outcome_
3. Infographic (graphs etc.).
## 4
_question_
4. Are there any applications created purely for digital publishing and how are they different from those created for print?
_method_
4. Research the essence of these programs and compare several of these programs to each other by testing them in hands-on capacity. Specifically by trying to come to the same outcome with several applications.
_visual outcome_
4. The outcomes of the hands-on testing.
## 5
_question_
5. How did the interfaces from applications change overtime and how did this affect the skeuomorphic qualities of the interface?
_method_
5. Go in depth on one or two applications. Take/gather screenshots from the different versions and compare them in a timeline.
_visual outcome_
5. Timeline with images/text.
In the end, we went with answering questions 1 and 5, as they’re closely related to each other and we felt they’re the most relevant questions. We were struggling a bit with what kind of visual outcome our research would have. We considered a timeline, but thought this wouldn’t yet make our idea clear enough. Or at least, maybe it would be clear enough, but not too original or inventive for research.
-
We also tried some other experiments, like a gif animation showcasing the skeuomorphic qualities in Photoshop. But we felt it moved to fast to show it all nicely, and doesn’t really allow any room for observation.
-
After all that, we were still having trouble wrapping our heads around what we were actually going to produce. We tried a physical research to see where that got us. It focussed on the splash screens of different programs throughout the years. This was a complete mess to look up and finding all images would’ve taken ages, if we hadn’t found a very nice Graphical User Interface Database, which featured extensive documentation of several important programs. Most prominently, Photoshop.
-

-

Near the very end, the idea came up to create an actual application out of it, showcasing changes in the application. We went for Photoshop only, since it’s a program that accommodates both digital and print, and has gradually evolved to become more suited for digital design. Or at least, that’s our idea. We came to create an interactive pdf, showcasing changes in the program, skeuomorphic qualities and notes.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.