Jeroen J. L. Chabot, Chairman of Board Willem de Kooning Academy
Gymnasium a, Alloysiuscollege, The Hague (NL)
Master Art History, Utrecht University (NL)
First level teaching qualification, Utrecht University
Relevant work experience
Deputy Director AKV|St.Joost – Avans Hogeschool, University of Apllied Sciences (NL). The art academy has around 1,300 students spread out over two locations in Breda and ’s-Hertogenbosch (before 2004, these were separate institutions). Besides bachelor courses, the academy offers five master courses since September 2010.
Core tasks: development of education, communication, quality assurance and daily supervision over bachelor and master courses.
Areas of attention
Besides the ‘usual’ tasks, the following areas of attention are important:
- link with pre-education/preparatory courses; frequent meetings with regional training centres (ROC’s);
- strengthening ties between Avans Hogeschool and Breda City Council and entrepreneurial organisations in the province of Brabant, as a result of supporting trips to Yangzhou (China) in 2008 and 2009;
- intensification of internationalisation;
- recruitment of partner institutions for AKV|St. Joost in New York (Parsons The New School for Design and Pratt Institute); expanding of exchange partners (around 15 institutions in Europa) and active participation in international network conferences;
- active participant in networks of Avans Hogeschool and, on behalf of Avans Hogeschool, in external networks.
- Successful review/visitation and accreditation of master course Fine Art in 2006 and consecutive bachelor courses Fine Art and Design in 2007
- Successful in acquiring new, government-funded master programmes Interior Architecture and Animation in 2010.
- Deputy Director Willem de Kooning Academy Rotterdam University (WdKA)
- Tutor art and cultural history WdKA
Extra activities (among which)
- Secretary OBK
- Jury member Chabot Prize for Fine Art
- Chairman KVDO (national platform Fine Art and Design Teacher Training)
- Member Dutch platform Communication and Multimedia Design courses
- Member higher education (hbo) working group for course profiles Fine Art and Design; end report 2003.
- Member higher education (hbo) working group for course profile Fine Art and Design Teacher Training; end report 2004.
- Chairman higher education (hbo) working group for course profile master Education in Arts; end report 2004.
- Steering/advisory committee THYPE Rotterdam, a two-day conference on contemporary graphic design and typography (in cooperation with the Fontshop Benelux).
- Chairman steering/advisory committee OBK/COMP: manifestation initiated by OBK on ICT in contemporary art education; supported by, among others, Premsela Dutch platform for design and fashion.
- Diverse commissions, national working groups on art education and national and international lectures and publications.